Nicole Mahoney is an entrepreneur, speaker, and podcast host with a passion for business. She’s the Founder of Break the Ice Media, a PR and digital marketing agency specializing in the travel, tourism, and hospitality industry, and also serves as the CEO of Travel Alliance Partners. In her weekly podcast, Destination on the Left, launched in 2016, she interviews tourism professionals from all over the globe on creativity and collaboration.
On this episode of Destination on the Left, I’m talking about the significance of community in the travel, tourism, and hospitality industry. Whether it’s the local community you serve, industry associations, or peer groups, being an integral part of a community is essential for making a lasting impact.
What You Will Learn in this Episode:
- Best practices to help guide you in engaging with your community and making the most of events like TAP Dance
- Why we should focus on serving others within the community, building authentic relationships rather than solely focusing on transactions
- How to build an authentic and connected community by sharing experiences, successes, and setbacks
- Why to prioritize spending time with your community, whether through attending regular meetups, participating in online discussions, or engaging in community events
- How your community can be a pillar of strength during difficult periods
Building Meaningful Connections
Whether it’s a local community, industry associations, or peer groups, connecting with like-minded individuals can have a tremendous impact on personal and professional success. This week, I’m sharing strategies for finding and engaging with your community, including attending industry events and trade shows, which allow you to create opportunities to build relationships through shared experiences and educational sessions.
Best Practices for Community Engagement
We dig deep into some of the best practices for engaging effectively within a community — things like showing up, listening, and being relentlessly helpful are key steps for building strong connections. It is so important to prioritize relationships over transactions and embrace transparency as a way to form genuine, lasting connections within a community.
Peer Group Support
We also discuss why peer group interaction plays such a significant role in fostering connections within the travel and tourism industry. Whether through local destination marketing organizations or chambers of commerce, these formal organizations provide avenues for professionals with similar roles to connect, support, and learn from one another. By actively participating in peer groups, individuals can gain valuable insights, access educational opportunities, and form long-lasting relationships that can elevate their personal and professional growth.
- Website: https://nicolemahoney.com/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolemahoney/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BreakTheIceMedia
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/Break_TheIce
- Tap Into Travel: https://www.tapintotravel.com/
- Research: Collaboration in the Travel, Tourism, & Hospitality Industry: https://breaktheicemedia.com/collaboration/
We value your thoughts and feedback and would love to hear from you. Leave us a review on your favorite streaming platform to let us know what you want to hear more of. Here is a quick tutorial on how to leave us a rating and review on iTunes!: https://breaktheicemedia.com/rating-review/