As Account Manager – Leisure Trade & Product Structure with Destination Sherbrooke for the past five years, William Hogg has developed and deepened key relationships with tourism partners and travel buyers from the region, across Canada, and around the world. The instigator of the Sherbrooke – Heart of the Townships brand, he continues to strategically develop products and position the city, partners, and the region in Canadian, American, and international (Asian and European) leisure and tour & travel markets.
On this episode of Destination on the Left, I talk with William Hogg about how he has kept his Canadian destination Sherbrooke, near the U.S. border in Quebec, at the forefront of travelers’ minds over the past year. He shares his most creative ideas – from hosting frequent virtual familiarization (FAM) tours for operators in the travel trade to creating an award-winning Local Flavors Road Trip. William also shares why he sees collaboration as the key to successfully navigating the changes in a post-pandemic travel industry.
What You Will Learn:
- What the closure of travel and tourism due to the pandemic has meant for Canadian destinations
- Creative elements incorporated in Sherbrooke’s strategy to move through the challenges of 2020/21 and beyond
- How William collaborated with neighboring municipal organizations to find ways of attracting hyper-local tourism
- What Destination Sherbrooke is doing to support their local community
- Why William is currently seeing more interest from U.S. tour operators than Canadian operators for Summer 2021
Collaborate for Success
In the current climate, sharing wealth and resources is the key to success, and collaborations between destinations don’t need to be completely equal for them to be successful. Smaller communities can collaborate with larger ones to work together to both draw visitors to their attractions and offer them a range of places to eat and sleep, leading to a win-win outcome for everyone.
COVID-19 Friendly Attractions
Being COVID-friendly is vital in the post-pandemic recovery period and promoting outdoor attractions that visitors feel comfortable with as they ease back into tourism is very important in the rejuvenation of the industry. William discusses why the attractions that Destination Sherbrooke is focusing on are centered around agri-tourism. He also describes how Sherbrooke won international recognition for the pivots they have made during the pandemic and the continued creativity they have shown in drawing people to the area.
- Website: https://www.destinationsherbrooke.com/en/visitors
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/william-hogg-94b24326/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/destinationsherbrooke
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/DSherbrooke
We value your thoughts and feedback and would love to hear from you. Leave us a review on your favorite streaming platform to let us know what you want to hear more of. Here is a quick tutorial on how to leave us a rating and review on iTunes!: https://breaktheicemedia.com/rating-review/